Sunday, May 4, 2014

Take Two - Love Living Downtown

I could just kick myself sometimes. I know better than to not save things as I go... things like documents or, oh, I don't know... blog posts. Sigh. I'd spent the better part of the last hour writing and editing, adding pictures, going back and forth on my iPad to the photos. And what did I do? Instead of going back to the open file I was in -- the one that I hadn't saved - I opened the app again - which opened to a blank new file just waiting to be filled. ARGH! Palm to the forehead! Sigh... so, rather than trying to re-write everything, I'm going to make this one easier and just post the highlights rather than a blow-by-blow account (which is surely boring anyway, right?) of the last couple of weeks.

Suffice it to say, we've been really busy having fun downtown these last couple of weeks. I mean REALLY busy. I think we've had only three nights at home in the last two weeks where we didn't have something going on in the evening. And the weekends... oh, my. A week ago Friday, which was my day off work, I logged over 18,000 steps on my fitbit! Whew...

So what have we been doing to stay so busy? Well, let's see... first off, we had our first dragon boat practice a couple of weeks ago. What fun! We'd never visited the Cheaspeake Boathouse and wow, it's pretty incredible. I didn't get any pictures of our dragonboat team but I took a couple shots before we took off.



Rowing is quite a workout and, because the next two weeks we'll be practicing for 45 minutes longer to make up for missing last week's practice due to the wind, I think we'll be really in for it this afternoon. I'm going to try to get some shots of us in action today if possible. :)

And the best part about the dragon boats? Possibly the tailgating afterwards!


We volunteered to bring the tailgate supplies last weekend - the practice that was cancelled - so instead, we had a last-minute make-shift tailgate at the condo and invited everyone over for that instead! We had a good turn out and it was so much fun to have everyone over. I don't know what we would have done with all that food if it hadn't worked out. Whew... :) The hummus ravioli and the Romesco dip were both big hits... and completely vegan.


Following the awesome tailgate after the dragon boat practice, we took off for Blanchard, where Shelley had lined up a place for us to buy organic plants for our community garden. They just did a story on KOCO Channel 5 about it last night but I couldn't find a link to share. Shelley's done a wonderful job spearheading this awesome project and I know she's got to be crazy happy with how well it's all turned out. Here are some of our latest pics from the garden project...










We had a big garden gathering last weekend to get the soil amended and everything planted... it was great fun. Afterwards, sweet hubby and I took off with Shelley and John to the Arts Festival, where we relaxed with a cold beer (or two), watched people and just had the best time.






The Myriad Gardens are really coming to life and it was so much fun to see so many people out, having fun on such a beautiful day. I don't think it rained once during the festival. That almost never happens.

Earlier in the week, sweet hubby and I had walked over to Urban Johnny for dinner. We sat outside and enjoyed the great view of downtown.


Then I turned around to see a giant black cloud moving toward us from the east. We paid for dinner and walked really, really fast the three blocks back to the condo. Literally as we reached the front door, the sky opened up and poured down! Wow, talk about timing. By the time we got upstairs, it was really coming down.



That same week we went to a fundraiser for Reduxion Theatre as they were celebration William Shakespeare's birthday. While we were standing there with a glass of wine, visiting with a friend of mine from high school who is involved in the theatre, I happened to glance at a poster for one of their upcoming plays, Henry V. Lo and behold, the title character is one of my former Youth Tourians, the kids who go to Washington, D.C. with me each summer. I knew he was into acting but had no idea he was doing so well! Now we've made plans to go see the play - so I'm sure that will make an upcoming post. :)



Last Sunday was the OKC Memorial Marathon. A couple of my dearest friends (two of the girls who went to the beach with me last month) were running so sweet hubby and I decided to take our coffee outside and watch the racers as they went by our condo - the route had them coming up from Bricktown and then east on 4th Street so we were right on their path.

Wow, I've never had 25,000 people run by me before! That was quite a sight! Not only did we see both the friends we were looking for but several others as well. I even had someone in the crowd of runners shout out "Spike Momma!" three different times. :) That's the nickname the Youth Tourians have for me. That was too cool. Several others running called out "good job, coffee drinkers! Looking good!" LOL. We hoisted our cups to them as they sailed past...





Again this month we missed the H & 8th Street event but we managed to go to the rooftop terrace at the Art Museum again and that was great. Now that it's May, they'll have live music each week. It was a beautiful evening.



Friday evening was so pretty we decided to sit out front with a glass of wine. Block 42 has lots of table and chairs for gathering and there are always people coming and going so it's been a great way to meet our neighbors. We were really happy to have Steve, one of our Urban Neighbors friends who lives here, stop by and visit. His beautiful baby daughter and wife stopped for awhile, too. Such a nice sense of community downtown. :)

While we were planning a get-together with friends for the first Saturday of the month and we'd invited everyone over to the condo and then planned to have dinner downtown, since the OKC Thunder had made it to game 7 in the first round of the playoffs and they'd be in OKC, we knew that downtown was not going to be an easy place to be. Sweet hubby and I have never been sports fans so it's not usually on our radar but we've lived downtown long enough to know the game crowds are impressive.

Instead, we went to our friends house in north OKC where we cooked out and enjoyed some time together. The game was on the TV and even though we've never, ever watched any of a Thunder game before, we both admit to being sucked in... a little bit at least. Considering the awesome economic impact the team has on the city, it's hard not to be excited about that. Being the "early to bed, early to rise" people that we are, we left before the game was over but we did check when we got home to find out if they'd won. LOL. That's a first!



This coming week I've got a few days of classes at the office. The instructor is one of my all-time favorite people so we'll definitely plan to have him over for dinner while he's in town. I made him reservations at the new hotel in Deep Deuce, too, the Aloft. We'll have to go by and check it out while he's here... we just haven't gotten around to visiting it yet. I think it's going to be really cool.



For now, I better quit blogging, finish up the laundry and go do some grocery shopping before we report to the river for our next dragon boat practice this afternoon. :) It's easy to enjoy sitting here while I write, taking in our much prettier spring-time view now... things are greening up nicely.



Gosh, I just love living downtown. :)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment