Saturday, May 24, 2014

3 weeks - gone in a flash!

Someone asked me the other day what had happened to my blog. I always intend to post something to it on a weekly basis... that way I don't have to try to remember everything we've been doing! But alas, that never seems to happen. What is it they say is paved with good intentions? Oh yeah... I remember now. :)

So, flash forward and it's three weeks since my last post. Now I have to try to go back in time and recall all the fun we've had since then... because oh, my.. we are still having so much fun living downtown. I wish I could conjure up some of those wavy lines for a flash back like Mike Meyers and Dana Carvey did on Wayne's World. :) LOL. If I could, perhaps we'd go back to this...

May 6-8 we had the most wonderful Adobe classes at our office with one my all-time favorite instructors, Russell Viers. He lives in Kansas City now but he's literally jetting all over the world all the time teaching these amazing programs. I learned enough in those classes to save myself hours and hours of time every time I do one of my projects. It was awesome.

I'd set him up to stay at the Aloft Hotel while he was in town. The hotel had only been open a couple of weeks and it's only a couple of blocks from our condo, too, so we knew it would be easy to get together with him while he was here. We didn't end up having him over but we did get together for drinks at the hotel one evening before going across the street to Urban Johnny's for dinner one night. We had the best time. He's just too, too funny. And he told me the OKC Aloft was the most European hotel he'd ever stayed in outside of Europe. And it's in OKC. Who'd a thunk it? :)




I was lucky that sweet hubby was able to meet up with Russell for awhile that evening while I made it over to the new Maywood Apartments, where we were having our monthly Urban Neighbors board meeting. The apartments were great to host us and we even got to have the meeting in one of their model apartments. They're a great addition to downtown living and I hope anyone who is interested in moving downtown will check them out.




Since that weekend was Mother's Day, we moved our dragon boat practice to Saturday. Something was going on at the river downtown (there's ALWAYS something going on downtown, it seems) so we met up with our coach at the boathouse over at Lake Overholser, just a couple of blocks from where we used to live in Bethany when the kids were little. Nice to have an alternative option and it was interesting to drive by the old house, too. :) It's nothing like the downtown river area but they've got it in pretty nice condition.




Since we hadn't been able to have our goddess get-together the weekend before because of the Thunder game, we got together at Urban Johnny Saturday night and then went over to check out the rooftop balcony at Aloft before coming back to the condo to hang out for awhile. The view up there is too cool, even if you can't see the Devon tower. And don't I have some beautiful friends?




On Mother's Day the heathen children (as well as awesome SIL and sweet grandbaby) came over to hang out. Oddly enough, Mom ended up making dinner for everyone on HER day but... :) We had a great time walking over to the Myriad Gardens since it was such a beautiful afternoon. There was a live band playing in front that was really good -- an Air Force band but we didn't get their name. We sat by the splash pad for awhile and then walked through the Secret Garden. Definitely a nice afternoon with family...







On the way back we decided to stop at the Wedge for a glass of tea (or maybe I had a beer...) and some gelato for the kiddos. They've got such a great covered patio.




Sweet grandbaby turned on her charm while we were there... and looked laid back while doing it.




The next week I was off to Stillwater, OK for the Special Olympics Summer State Games. Oklahoma's Electric Co-ops always have one of the largest volunteer groups there and I get to help coordinate those volunteers as well as take pictures for all our co-ops. It's one of the most rewarding things I get to do all year...










Got back home on Friday, which just so happened to be my 50th birthday. :) Since Aloft Hotel was having their grand opening celebration that night, our Urban Neighbors friends decided we should combine the two events and celebrate it all together, which we did. I was exhausted after the busy week at Special Olympics but it was nice to get together with friends and to get to see inside some of the rooms at the hotel, too.

Saturday morning we got up bright and early for the big OKC Beautiful Beautification Station bus tour that was stopping at our wonderful Urban Neighbors community garden. That garden just gets more and more awesome every time I go visit.










We had two bus loads of people stop by to check it out and there was obviously a lot of interest. Plus we also got to hear from Hunter Wheat from Bleu Garten, the planned Food Truck court that's just down the street from our garden. That's going to be too cool. It's planned to be opened in September...







We were back on the Oklahoma River for the dragon boat practice on Sunday. I'm happy to report that we managed to knock 6 seconds off our time in the 200 meter trial. We still need to improve our standings but wow, what fun and what a workout, too! :)







We managed to have a pretty laid back week in the evenings this week since we're both a little crazy busy at work. Sweet hubby is busy working proposal after proposal and most of my time has been taken up getting ready to have 91 eighth graders at camp this next week and then, two weeks later, taking 72 high school juniors to Washington, D.C. for a week. Yep, this is a busy time for both of us. Nothing like sorting 600+ t-shirts...







Met Shelley at the garden yesterday morning for a watering session and mimosas. :) Also brought home goodies from the garden for this weekend's smoothies! Yum. We managed to wrap up the busy work week by seeing a really sweet movie at the OKCMOA, Le Weekend. Highly recommend it if you get the chance!




Today we're heading to Norman for a friend's birthday potluck celebration. Tomorrow, it's back to the river for another dragonboat practice and birthday tailgate because Monday is sweet hubby's birthday. He'll be a year older than me once again. :) I think we'll meet up with heathen daughter and her family on Monday to celebrate at Big Truck Tacos... love that place. :)

I'll try not to let 3 weeks go by before posting again but since I'll be at camp all week next week, there won't be much to mention by next week. Something tells me it won't take long before there's more fun to report on though. :)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment